Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Self-Reflection - R.L.Ramirez

I’ve learned a plethora of information during this course through the required readings, in-class discussions, as well as first hand through the mini-inquiry project. I’ve learned that there are a variety of methods for collecting data, five qualitative approaches, different ways for verifying data validity, as well as our moral obligations as ethical researchers. Prior to this course, my knowledge of conducting research was highly limited; however, upon its completion, I can proudly say that I’ve dabbled in conducting actual research through my collaborative efforts with Nickie while investigating boys’ perceptions surrounding academic achievement. Although I’m cognizant of the fact that I still have a lot to learn, I’m proud to say that 24 credits into the program, I “survived” the IRB process and know how to go about submitting research proposals. There is a learning curve and I’m here to learn and to continue growing as a student, future researcher, and person.

Working on the wiki page with my think thank as well as brainstorming and sharing ideas on the blog has helped me to build positive working relationship with my classmates. We’ve learned a great deal from each other regarding our research interests and had many opportunities to bounce ideas off of each other during our mini-inquiry project. Through our talks (both face-to-face and online), I was able to incorporate my classmates’ valuable opinions, observations, and experiences into my research interests. It’s imperative that I consult and collaborate with other budding researchers in order to gain more knowledge and appreciate differing perspectives on a given topic.

The readings this semester served as the foundation for our sessions. Dr. Turner based her lectures and in-class activities on readings assigned for that week. This, in turn, allowed me to apply what I learned from the texts to a real life situation. For example, the week that we were exposed to focus groups as a means for collecting, Dr. Turner simulated an actual focus group in-class with us. Her question was related to the usefulness of her course's required texts. She moderated the discussion without utilizing leading questions which might have influenced our responses. They was also careful not to provide her personal opinion. These strategies aided in obtaining uncontaminated responses which might be useful for a study.

The practice assignments, such as taking field notes during February break, helped me to assume the role of observer. It forced me to stop, take in my surroundings and report back to the class. This assignment allowed me to arrive at the realization that my biases will, often, play a role in my research. Nevertheless, I’ll be certain to incorporate the validation techniques learned during this semester.

I missed one face-to-face session due to my school’s parent-teacher conferences, but made it up during the optional session.

No comments:

Post a Comment