Sunday, March 27, 2011

In response to Edolla's post...

I think it was extremely strategic of you to interview a student you no longer teach. I'm sure that your responses were more accurate than mine since I interviewed my current 10th grader. I'm convinced that her responses were tailored in hopes of pleasing me (her teacher). She continuously complimented me by talking about my "friendly" and "nice" personality which "invited" her to participate in my class regularly. Although this might be the case, I felt as if she thought that her responses, if negative, would have a negative impact on her academic record in my class.

If I were to interview someone else, I would have chosen a student which I never taught. I believe that that would portray the students' beliefs and attitudes regarding teachers and class participation more accurately. If I wanted to gain insight about this particular student, I probably would ask a colleague to ask the interview questions instead of me. Another idea I have would be to assure that student that her/his response would have absolutely no affect on my attitudes towards the interviewee. Nevertheless, this might work better for younger students. I don't think a 10th grader would be so convinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment