Sunday, February 13, 2011

Michelle's Six Is based on the Peshkin article

The below is mostly speculation on my part because, like Nickie mentioned in her post, I have yet to do any true research. However, based on Peshkin's clear descriptions, here are my Six Is:

1. Ethnic Maintenance- As an Italian American, I feel I have a strong connection to my ethnic heritage and culture. My father was the first of his family born in the United States, so I also feel a strong connection to recent immigrants and their experiences in the U.S. It is possible that because of my ethnic and cultural background, I would have some subjectivity toward individuals who share a strong cultural value of family and hard work. However, this subjectivity has yet to be tested.

2. Community Maintenance- Like Peshkin mentions in his 1988 article, I feel that I could possibly struggle maintaining objectivity if I found myself welcomed into a community. Like in Peshkin's example of Mario's Snack Shop, I too have found myself in regular casual conversations with community members that may subtly influence my objective stance on a given issue.

3. E-Pluribus-Unum- I agree that it would be challenging not to overstate a product that I find personally pleasing. Like Peshkin, I would love to see more diversity in school populations and might overstate the "magnitude" of the situation. I would also love to see more student choice in high school courses, more creative options for students etc. Although I can imagine maintaining objectivity when faced with a situation that I find inspiring, I don't think this would be the most difficult I for me to maintain. (I tend to be a bit pessimistic)

4. Justice Seeking- this is a difficult I. Many people are concerned with matters of justice and equality and I'm sure that my passion for the subject would be evident in my writing. However, I do believe that I would be able to take account of my personal feelings and also present the facts in an objective way.

5. Pedagogical Meliorist- Whoa! This is probably going to be a major I for me. As an English teacher for the last 8 years, I have some strong convictions about the way a classroom should run, how students should be addressed, how lessons should be planned and delivered! Yikes! I will have to work hard to maintain objectivity if I encounter a classroom like the one Peshkin describes in is 1988 article.

6. Nonresearch Human- The warm welcome of a community, school or classroom that I am observing might influence my word choice if I have a critical finding, but I don't think it would truly taint my objectivity.

1 comment:

  1. You connect with many of Peshkin's Is. Are there others that he might not mention but that have major import for you?

    ReplyDelete